Sherlock News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum to discuss all things Sherlock!

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

::: BOOK CLUB :::

Go down 
+5
The Improbable One
MeganHolmes
doctor.e
maehymn
BBC Sherlock Admin
9 posters
AuthorMessage
BBC Sherlock Admin
Admin
BBC Sherlock Admin

::: BOOK CLUB ::: Empty
PostSubject: ::: BOOK CLUB :::   ::: BOOK CLUB ::: I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 4:35 pm

Welcome to the Sherlock Holmes book club! Each week we read a SH story and then we discuss it here on the forum! Very Happy

RULES: Please post the name of the story for that week at the top of your comment so we know what story it is and what week . Thank you! Very Happy

~ Nikita ~
Back to top Go down
http://www.bbcsherlocknewsforum.forumotion.com
BBC Sherlock Admin
Admin
BBC Sherlock Admin

PostSubject: WEEK ONE:   ::: BOOK CLUB ::: I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 4:36 pm

Okay guys since this is week one we first have to decide what story we're going to read. Suggestions? I think we should pick a short story to begin with Wink

~ Nikita ~
Back to top Go down
maehymn

maehymn

PostSubject: Re: ::: BOOK CLUB :::   ::: BOOK CLUB ::: I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 8:30 pm

Scandal in Bohemia!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.maehymn.com
doctor.e

PostSubject: week 1    ::: BOOK CLUB ::: I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 8:31 pm

Scandal in Bohemia for the first week.
Back to top Go down
MeganHolmes
helping Molly in the lab
helping Molly in the lab
MeganHolmes

PostSubject: Re: ::: BOOK CLUB :::   ::: BOOK CLUB ::: I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 9:20 pm

I agree with Scandal in Bohemia! That's a really good one to start off with Very Happy
~Megan
Back to top Go down
The Improbable One
helping Molly in the lab
helping Molly in the lab
The Improbable One

PostSubject: Re: ::: BOOK CLUB :::   ::: BOOK CLUB ::: I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 3:03 am

It's short, fun, and interesting, plus it has Irene Adler in it so it's brilliant.
Back to top Go down
http://I don't actually have a website, but I do have facebook.
Sherlock'sHousekeeper
helping Molly in the lab
helping Molly in the lab
Sherlock'sHousekeeper

PostSubject: Re: ::: BOOK CLUB :::   ::: BOOK CLUB ::: I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 3:43 am

Scandal in Bohemia is a good story to start off with, plus its the first of the short stories too Smile
Back to top Go down
BBC Sherlock Admin
Admin
BBC Sherlock Admin

PostSubject: WEEK ONE: A Scandal In Bohemia   ::: BOOK CLUB ::: I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 11:23 am

Ok guys Scandal In Bohemia it is! Excellent!

This time next week we'll come on here and discuss it Smile I know everyone is on different time zones and not everyone can come on at the same time so once u come on anytime next Thursday/Friday to dicuss the story that's fine Smile

Enjoy!!! Very Happy

sherlocking
Back to top Go down
The Improbable One
helping Molly in the lab
helping Molly in the lab
The Improbable One

PostSubject: Re: ::: BOOK CLUB :::   ::: BOOK CLUB ::: I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 11:29 am

Sweet! I'll have to find time to read it! I'll do it! This will be exciting.
Back to top Go down
BBC Sherlock Admin
Admin
BBC Sherlock Admin

PostSubject: Re: ::: BOOK CLUB :::   ::: BOOK CLUB ::: I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 11:36 am

The Improbable One wrote:
Sweet! I'll have to find time to read it! I'll do it! This will be exciting.

Very exciting! This is gonna be lots of fun! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Irene Adler

Irene Adler

PostSubject: Re: ::: BOOK CLUB :::   ::: BOOK CLUB ::: I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 5:18 pm

Great idea and thread! Very Happy Could not have chosen a better story to begin with! Cool
Back to top Go down
The Improbable One
helping Molly in the lab
helping Molly in the lab
The Improbable One

PostSubject: Re: ::: BOOK CLUB :::   ::: BOOK CLUB ::: I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 5:21 pm

Sometimes I wish you didn't have to reply to make it known that you like something someone has said. Well said Ms. Adler.
Back to top Go down
Harley.Quin
helping Molly in the lab
helping Molly in the lab
Harley.Quin

PostSubject: Re: ::: BOOK CLUB :::   ::: BOOK CLUB ::: I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 6:45 pm

I cant wait!
~Harley
Back to top Go down
Sherlock'sHousekeeper
helping Molly in the lab
helping Molly in the lab
Sherlock'sHousekeeper

PostSubject: Re: ::: BOOK CLUB :::   ::: BOOK CLUB ::: I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 10:47 am

can't wait for next week Smile
Back to top Go down
The Improbable One
helping Molly in the lab
helping Molly in the lab
The Improbable One

PostSubject: Re: ::: BOOK CLUB :::   ::: BOOK CLUB ::: I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 2:23 pm

So! Scandal in Bohemia. Great shot story. I really enjoy it. I like how it's mentioned in other stories as well though, makes things interesting. I think it will be interesting to see the modern day Irene Adler.
Back to top Go down
SharonHeath

PostSubject: Re: ::: BOOK CLUB :::   ::: BOOK CLUB ::: I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 5:20 pm

When you read A Scandal in Bohemia, you realize that a lot of myths about Irene Adler and Sherlock Holmes as a romance aren't true. To begin with, when Watson writes the story, Irene Adler is dead. He refers to her as the "late" Irene Adler. Secondly, Watson makes it extremely clear that Holmes did not feel anything akin to love for her. I believe he says something like Holmes would be putting himself in a false position if he ever put himself in the position of lover. Romance and love were foreign to his cold, logical mind. Moreover, when Holmes refers to Adler as the "daintiest thing under a bonnet" he is actually quoting others, not expressing his own view. His admiration of "The" woman is for her intelligence and cleverness. I give him credit that he is so impressed by someone who really defeated him. And in later stories, he openly admits that she beat him. That suggest a self-assured man, because a lesser man would have become defensive and claimed that he really won because he discovered the hiding place and the client was satisfied. He was actually amused that she was one step ahead of him. But, she was not his lover, nor even his friend. He hardly knew her. But I do find it amusing, as Holmes did, that he was the official witness to her marriage. The fact that he found that amusing, and not in any way distressing, shows that his feelings were admiration, not love, or even lust.
Back to top Go down
The Improbable One
helping Molly in the lab
helping Molly in the lab
The Improbable One

PostSubject: Re: ::: BOOK CLUB :::   ::: BOOK CLUB ::: I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 5:26 pm

I certainly agree with everything you said. It is totally true. I do get sort of frustrated when people try to romanticize their relationship, when clearly, it wasn't a relationship at all really. I think it might be one of the best Sherlock Holmes stories, along with The Final Problem and a few others. It certainly allows us to see Sherlock better and understand that he is simply a man who has no time for that kind of thing. I really like that story.
Back to top Go down
Sherlock'sHousekeeper
helping Molly in the lab
helping Molly in the lab
Sherlock'sHousekeeper

PostSubject: Re: ::: BOOK CLUB :::   ::: BOOK CLUB ::: I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 8:00 pm

I really enjoy the first paragraph of the story, its a nice little summary of Sherlock's personality. Irene Alder is also pretty cool, especially when she said good night to Sherlock.
Back to top Go down
The Improbable One
helping Molly in the lab
helping Molly in the lab
The Improbable One

PostSubject: Re: ::: BOOK CLUB :::   ::: BOOK CLUB ::: I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 5:55 am

I do like how he acted getting hurt. And how Watson didn't mind breaking the law. Hahahaha.
"Do you mind doing something illegal?"
"Not at all."
Hahaha.
Back to top Go down
MeganHolmes
helping Molly in the lab
helping Molly in the lab
MeganHolmes

PostSubject: Re: ::: BOOK CLUB :::   ::: BOOK CLUB ::: I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 10:02 pm

I do like how he acted getting hurt. And how Watson didn't mind breaking the law. Hahahaha.
"Not at all."
Hahaha.

Haha I agree that part is awesome. I like this story but I'll admit it's not one of my favorites but I still enjoy it. It just bugs me how basically everyone else in the world is like "Oh Sherlock loves Adler" correction that is false my friends. But I guess that's Hollywood for you have to throw in a romantic angle in everything nowadays. Oh well that besides this is a good story and I love how a women is the one that can outsmart Holmes haha.
Back to top Go down
The Improbable One
helping Molly in the lab
helping Molly in the lab
The Improbable One

PostSubject: Re: ::: BOOK CLUB :::   ::: BOOK CLUB ::: I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 3:01 am

MeganHolmes wrote:
"Not at all."
Hahaha.

Haha I agree that part is awesome. I like this story but I'll admit it's not one of my favorites but I still enjoy it. It just bugs me how basically everyone else in the world is like "Oh Sherlock loves Adler" correction that is false my friends. But I guess that's Hollywood for you have to throw in a romantic angle in everything nowadays. Oh well that besides this is a good story and I love how a women is the one that can outsmart Holmes haha.

You're perfect! Absolutely correct. He doesn't love her, he admires her, maybe even envies her to some extent. I love how he finally got outsmarted by a woman. I think Hollywood should give it up. Romance isn't everything. It's ridiculous. Most of the time that is. Sometimes you get the good story, but not with Sherlock Holmes. They should leave it be. Hahah.
Back to top Go down
MeganHolmes
helping Molly in the lab
helping Molly in the lab
MeganHolmes

PostSubject: Re: ::: BOOK CLUB :::   ::: BOOK CLUB ::: I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 4:33 pm

MeganHolmes wrote:
"Not at all."
Hahaha.

You're perfect! Absolutely correct. He doesn't love her, he admires her, maybe even envies her to some extent. I love how he finally got outsmarted by a woman. I think Hollywood should give it up. Romance isn't everything. It's ridiculous. Most of the time that is. Sometimes you get the good story, but not with Sherlock Holmes. They should leave it be. Hahah.

I know right? That was my main problem with the newest movie. They aren't lovers! That was like I saw a movie, can't remember right now which, but there was no romance factor and for that it got bad reviews. That just annoys me.. Stick to how the book is and don't try to change it. Sherlock Holmes isn't considered a classic for nothing... hence why you shouldn't change it haha.
Back to top Go down
BBC Sherlock Admin
Admin
BBC Sherlock Admin

PostSubject: WEEK TWO   ::: BOOK CLUB ::: I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 5:14 pm

So guys! Glad you enjoyed 'A Scandal in Bohemia' Smile What do you what to read this week?

sherlocking
Back to top Go down
Sherlock'sHousekeeper
helping Molly in the lab
helping Molly in the lab
Sherlock'sHousekeeper

PostSubject: Re: ::: BOOK CLUB :::   ::: BOOK CLUB ::: I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 6:02 pm

How about another short story? Personally one of my favorites is "The Yellow Face" but I am good with any of the Sherlock stories.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ::: BOOK CLUB :::   ::: BOOK CLUB ::: I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

::: BOOK CLUB :::
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sherlock News Forum :: The Canon :: The Original Stories-
Jump to: